Mission Statement

Dedicated to daily simple acts of random kindness to change the world

Saturday, April 26, 2014

What are we missing?

Recently, I have been spending time with an elderly man who has become a friend.  I find him to be interesting, and engaged with the most twinkly eyes.  He talks animatedly about his past life and all the things he has done, all his traveling, and his family.  I relish my time with him because he has no agenda , just seems happy to be alive.  He walks, and swims and right now, I am showing him how to do word searches.  It is fun to see him learn something new and he is so excited.  He is 94 years young.  What I am learning, is that we all have so much to give to each-other, no matter what age and I feel a little ashamed that I have neglected a population of people who are so valuable.  This seems to be a part of our society which gets neglected often.  In his culture, family and the elderly are revered, maybe we need to take a page from his book, I certainly will.  Make a ripple, look around, see what happens.

No comments: