Mission Statement

Dedicated to daily simple acts of random kindness to change the world

Friday, January 8, 2016

You can't un ring the bell

Communication is a peculiar thing.  There are many forms of it, body language, tone of voice, and just the saying of things to people.  Years ago, I took a communication class at a local college.  It was one of the most interesting classes I have taken, and believe me, I have taken many.  One of the first things my professor said was, "Don't forget, you can never un ring the bell."  No truer statement has been told.  I don't think most of us spend a lot of time thinking about what we say, or how we say it.  I don't think we consider our body language, but, most of all, I really don't think we consider other people's filters.  All that is a little hard to do.  We have a thought, we say it.  Wow, can that cause trouble!  People hear what comes through their filter.  People discern body language by past experiences, and a lot of the time, they just hear what they EXPECT to hear.  All of this makes communication really complicated.  I recently had an experience where I said something to someone.  Somehow, I was not able to give the complete thought.  They misconstrued it in the most harsh way.  There will be times when this will happen, no matter what, but I know from this experience, I will give much more thought to what I say unless it is "Hi, good morning, or I love you."  I don't think anyone could misconstrue these statements.

No comments: