Mission Statement

Dedicated to daily simple acts of random kindness to change the world

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Lessons from the Turkey

It has been an interesting late summer and fall.  We have had an inordinate number of wild turkeys coming up over the bluff and spending time in our neighborhood.  They come in groups of 12 to probably over 30.  I love the way they fill the yards and sidewalks, as if they own the place.  They are far from graceful, but so beautiful and the sounds they make are endearing to me.  They flow out into the street and stop traffic. They know they belong. In Native American tradition, Turkey means "give away."  They have celebration over a feast and then people bring things to share.  I was privileged to attend one of these day long feasts many years ago and it has stuck with me.  I was allowed to help prepare food and other necessities, but also to watch a woman tell me a story while making me a beautiful pouch.  It was heart-filling. I still have the pouch and the memories from that day and carry them with me every year. Make a ripple, and be grateful for all the things that are not things, see what happens. 

No comments: